Wednesday 25 February 2015

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #7

Welcome back from reading week everyone!

This week we explored two different collaborative tools on the internet: Google Docs and TodaysMeet. Google Docs is a tool that allows multiple users to view and edit a document at the same time. You can see what others are contributing to the document while you are working on it too.  This tool can be used in a variety of ways in classroom learning as well as professional settings. First, Google Docs is a great collaborative tool for group projects. I have only ever used Google Docs for writing papers with a group; however, after exploration, I learned that it can also be used for presentations, spreadsheets, and drawings! Secondly, Google Docs is a great alternative for those that do not have Office installed on their computer. They can simply log onto their Google account and start working on there. Thirdly, the feature that I enjoy most about this tool is that everything is saved automatically- therefore, it saves you the trouble of having to save everything onto your computer. This allows you to access your work on any computer, anywhere around the world! 

Although I have used Google Docs in the past, I did not include it in my original PLE diagram because I mainly used it for group project which I did not have at the time. However, I will add this tool to my PLE because of all the benefits that come along with it! It would definitely be categorized as an educational and communicative tool. 

Working with two other members this week has definitely contributed to my educational experience. It has improved my communication skills as well as teamwork initiatives. Working in a group with people online is much more difficult than collaborating with people in person. However, I found that it is important to be patient and always check in on group conversations so that you are always caught up. We initially communicated with each other through E-mail and Facebook, but once we were introduced to TodaysMeet, we began communicating through there. This is another tool that I would add to my PLE diagram is TodaysMeet. TodaysMeet is simply an online chat room where you can invite anyone to the meeting spot as long as you share the URL to the room. I found this tool very effective as it allows you to view a chronological transcript of the whole conversation so you can see who you have been communicating with, and the flow of conversation. 

Article of the Week
This week's article from my Feedly is about Apple's new Diverse Emojis! Apple has release a sneak peak of their new emojis that will come out in November. These new emojis show a range of ethnicities from Caucasian to Asian, and African American. Apple was aware that their current emojis lack racial diversity so they came up with six different skin tones. 


Until next week,,
Heidi 

No comments:

Post a Comment